Preparation time: 2 hours 45 mts.
For making one loaf, you need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup shredded firm papaya
- 1/2 cup butter or Margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups a purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 tsp.baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice (I did not have this, so did without this, still, tasty!)
- 1/2 tsp. ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnut or cashew
- Drain Papaya on paper towels.
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs or the flax meal mixture.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour and all the other ingredients. Mix for 3 mts.
- Stir in papaya, raisins and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (350 F / 180 C) for 1 hour and 10 mts or until done.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 mts. Remove and cool it completely on a wire rack.
Grind in a mixer, 4 tbsp. of flaxmeal (flax seeds) and add 1/4 tsp. baking powder, 6 tbsp.water and add to the bread dough.
We can make banana bread also in this method!